Let The Games Begin!
Am I the only one to have heard all of this repeatedly, year after year?
- Local officials are responsible for local affairs. Their first call for outside assistance is to the state authorities.
- State officials are responsible for affairs within the borders of their state. When outside assistance is necessary the Governor contacts the President.
- The President awaits the call of the Governor and based on the call provides assistance and declares an emergency. The President, because of law and protocol, cannot lift a finger until the Governor requests help.
- The National Guard is activated by the Governor of the State and serve as directed by the Governor. The Governor can order the National Guard to exercise police powers.
- National Army units assisting State authorities have absolutely no low enforcement ability because of the posse comitatus law.
The same points year after year yet the national media never seems to understand, or remember, the points above. The ignorance of the general population is obvious, but the ignorance of the media is incomprehensible.
The average citizen has absolutely no comprehension of what is involved in the emergency evacuation of a major population center. Big Bubba was aware, and involved, in emergency planning by the military in the 1970s should it become necessary to evacuate San Antonio. San Antonio has far fewer geographical obstacles than New Orleans. I still have doubts about the ability to evacuate San Antonio, or any major metropolitan area, in a timely manner. Large mass movements of disciplined military forces with a functioning command and control structure can be very difficult. Convincing civilians to do anything with a purpose is laughable.
Everybody thinks they are a genius compared to Cousin Smilin' George, but, Big Bubba knows better.